This online workshop is designed to lay the foundations for your academic success at HKUST and for your life-long learning.
Short-term goals: after going through it, you will be able to:
- Use PowerSearch & other search tools to find and select good articles from useful English language magazines & newspapers
- Name some important criteria and methods to use when critically evaluating sources (articles)
- Use other people's work legally and ethically
- Copyright & Creative Commons
- Find and attribute creative commons licensed multi-media items
- Articulate some reasons why scholars cite
- Begin to be able to create APA style citations
- Pass the quiz
- You will be able to apply and further develop these skills, abilities and mindsets during your time at HKUST
- After graduation and throughout your life, you will be able to question, search, find, evaluate, use, and create data, information, knowledge, and art responsibly and ethically, like a well-educated scholar (university graduate).
Self-reflection Exercises: Take a minute or so to think & note down for yourself (on paper, online, voice memo? Whatever works for you).
I am at university to learn and develop as a scholar and as a human being (right?)...
- In what ways do I want to improve how I ask questions and seek answers from data, information, knowledge, and art that others have created before me?
- How do I want other people to use the data, information, knowledge, and art that I create?